Sunday, January 10, 2016

Peanut Butter Protein Waffles

With the New Year, I'm trying to be healthier. How stereotypical. But I'm talking about getting serious. Since I have a more regular schedule and a less physical job, I need to get into a regular heathly groove. Ya dig? Haha.

Step one: get new running shoes, check. Step two: join a gym, check. Step three: set a tangible goal (aka run a 5k), check. Step four: track food intake, check. 

So now that I keep track of my food I get to see what I'm overdoing and lacking. After a week of tracking my food intake, I've discovered a few things. I don't eat enough protein, I don't eat enough fiber, I don't get enough calcium and I consume too much sugar. Getting fit, is more than counting calories, it's eating a complete meal.

I normally would not eat protein until the end of the day, which is bad. I told myself I was being vegetarian for most of the day, but it backfired. So now I'm on a little protein missing. Protein in every meal, lean if possible. 


Here's my first breakfast solution: peanut butter protein waffles.

1 cup all purpose flour
4 scoops of vanilla protein powder, I used EAS
1 whole egg
2 egg whites
2 cups of milk
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tsp vanilla extract
6 tablespoons of peanut butter, I used crunchy 

Mix all dry ingredients together. Mix all wet ingredients together, including peanut butter. And combine two mixes. Add more milk if the batter is too thick. Coo in waffle iron until preferred doneness. 

This recipe makes 12 regular sized waffles, or 24 mini waffles. I like the minis because they're stackable like pancakes, cuter and they get that crunchy texture faster than the bigger waffles. 

I ate mine with bananas and maple syrup, Bryan ate his with jelly, like a pbj. Next time I might add more peanut butter as a topping, just for that extra oomph.

Refrigerate any left overs for the next day, or freeze for future use. Just microwave or put in toaster.

Enjoy!


Akemi-chan

No comments: