Monday, March 9, 2015

Where Dreams Come True: WDW: Animal Kingdom

The last time I visited Walt Disney World, I was in 1st grade, more than 20 years ago. Animal kingdom was still just a young buck. This was my first time at this park and I was not really prepared for what I experienced. 

The grounds are so beautiful, lush and green. It's like a most expensive, fanciest zoo you will ever visit. "Lands" are broken up into countries, which makes sense. You wouldn't find an African elephant in Asia and you wouldn't find a Siberian tiger in Africa. 

Tree of Life

Pastry and coffee to start the day

Owl

Monkeys

After doing a quick tour of the lands we headed to Dinoland (yes because I guess Dinos need their own land) to ride Dinosaur. I've been on the Indiana Jones ride at Disneyland, but it took some convincing. Remember, I'm a scaredy cat. But I thought I was familiar with the DL ride enough to go to the WDW version.

Both rides use the same technology, but different themes. Oh yeah, did I mention it is soooo dark. I didn't know rides could be so dark. Anyway, they pulled it off quite well. Much more thrilling than I expected. Seems like WDW ups the thrill factor in many rides. Kudos.


The most beautiful part of the park include what appear to be ruins. As if the animals took over and run the kingdom. There are a few areas with huts and stores, but it all fits into the ambiance. Classic Disney, with their immersive park experiences. 


Komodo Dragon

Bats, we're in the cage with the bats, ugh


Tiger


Deer

Whatever the heck that is


Inside the aviary 

For lunch we had reservations at the nearby Sanaa at the Animal Kingdom Lodge, and by nearby I mean a bus ride away. A blend of African and Indian flavors, Sanaa was well reviewed online and with a beautiful bonus.
The Lodge

Mojito with African liqueur

Naan appetizer with nine different condiments, to die for

Remember when I said there was a bonus? The bonus was the view. The Animal Kingdom Lodge is host to rooms with a view of a mini safari. Animals roam a plain that is right next to guestroom windows and the restaurant's window. Yes, that's right. About 10 feet away from the restaurant's window were giraffes, zebras, wildebeest, antelope and birds. Amazing.

My view, if you look hard you can see the giraffe

Lamb burger

Chicken pita

View of the animals from up top



During lunch, it began to pour. Talk about good timing. But it was still raining as we caught the bus back to Animal Kingdom. So after pushing to the nearest shop that sold ponchos, we were on our way to Expedition Everest. Luckily for us, the rain meant short lines and multiple ride on this coaster.

Ponchos in line for our Yeti adventure

Exploration Everest

Rainy day

Next, our adventure led us to the Kilamanjaro Safari. Think of Jungle River Cruise, but with a real truck and real animals. I don't know if it's because of many zoo visits as a child or what, but I love animals. The sight of them just make me giggle and feel happy. So beautiful.





Warthog


Giraffes

Cow, African version

Stripes

So, our day at Animal Kingdom ended before sunset. We decided to go to Hollywood Studios. Unfortunately, it was pouring the whole time, so no pictures. But the thrill rides were great and I almost had a panic attack due to differences with the Tower of Terror. No joke. But we headed back to Downtown Disney for dinner. 

Dinner at TRex

Cotton candy martini

Grr

Classic strawberry and dark chocolate sundae from Ghiradelli

As far as a rain day, it went pretty well. Yes, socks were soaked. Yes, there was limited time for pictures. Yes, there were some hiccups. But we had a great time. The lines were short, the food still good and the rides still fun.

The next day, we head to Epcot. All my anticipation and money saved for this last day. Another WDW day to come.

-Akemi-chan

No comments: