Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Sausage, Kale and Cannellini Soup

I know I've made something similar to this soup before. But really, I could do without bacon thanks to this wedding diet. So I present to you the "Best I Could Do While Trapped in this Winter Storm" Soup.



Sausage, Kale and Cannellini Bean Soup

1 tbsp olive oil
1 lb Italian ground sausage
3 cloves of garlic, smashed
1/2 onion, diced
1.5 cartons low sodium chicken broth
1 can diced tomatoes, I used Italian style
1 can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
3 cups kale leaves, destemmed and torn into bite sized pieces
grated paremsean cheese (optional)
red pepper flake (optional)

In a large pot heat olive oil to medium heat. Add sausage and cook until brown. Remove sausage and leave fat in pot. Add onion, garlic, salt and pepper and saute until onions are soft.

Deglaze pan with chicken broth and scrape up any brown bits or sausage remains on the bottom of the pot. Add tomatoes and bring to a boil. once boiling, bring to a simmer and add beans. Simmer for 10 minutes and add torn kale leaves. Simmer for another 5 minutes and serve hot. Add cheese and red pepper flake is desired.

Soup before cheese and pepper

I'm sure everyone is tired of hearing about the "Winter Vortex" and probably even more tired of me complaining about it. But I am sooooooo over Winter, and we still have about a month to go. Soup helps, and so does wine, but in the end all I need is sunshine. I don't even need a beach, just let that beautiful sun shine out from behind those clouds and I'll be infinitely happier. Someday we'll see the sun again, someday.

-Akemi-chan

No comments: