Saturday, October 31, 2015

Dinner and a Movie: The Martian

You could say that I've become lazy, and I would probably agree with you, but I see no better dish to honor The Martian than a baked potato. 



After reading Andy Weir's novel, I was pleasantly surprised. Thanks to Mark Watney's sarcastic humor, I was a fan. However, I am not usually a fan of Matt Damon. It could be that he creeps me out from The Talented Mr. Ripley, or because he permanently looks like he's hiding something from the world, but I was crushed when I found out Mark Watney was being played by the talented Mr. Damon. 

Turns out, he did a great job playing everyone's favorite Martian. I wish they added more of Mark's sarcasm, but I guess some of those arrogant one-liners would detract from the overall story... not. 

Either way, Mark spends the first third of the book cultivating Mars with potatoes, and eating them to survive. So baked potato it it. Nothing fancy, because Mark is not making scalloped potatoes or creamy mashed potatoes. He's eating microwaved potatoes, one at a time. 


We dressed ours up a little more than Mark. But in this house sour cream is a necessity. A little chive to add some color and I'd say Mr. Watney would be proud. 

if you want the recipe, do what Mark would do. Insert potato into microwave until it is soft. Enjoy.

-Akemi-chan

No comments: